This is an old revision of the document!
Xubuntu 17.10 Release Notes
- Client side decorations (CSD) now consume much less space with the Greybird GTK+ theme.
- New device, mimetype, and monochrome panel icons have been included with the elementary-xfce icon theme.
- The new wallpaper adds a refreshing touch of green to the desktop.
- GNOME Font Viewer is now included by default. This application simplifies viewing and installing fonts.
- LibreOffice 5.3 → 5.4
- Firefox 52 → 56
- Thunderbird 45.8 → 52.4
- Numerous Xfce and other components have been updated.
- The Xfce Dictionary, Genmon Plugin, and Mount Plugin have been ported to GTK+ 3.
- Exo's GTK+ 3 support has been further improved.
- Tumbler has been ported to GDBus and the Clipman plugin has been ported to GtkApplication.
- Python 3.5 → 3.6
- GTK+ 3.24 → 3.26. GTK+ 3.26 includes support for Unicode 10.0.0 and support for color Emoji.
Updates from the Ubuntu Desktop Team
We usually link directly to the Ubuntu release notes, but there are several significant improvements that affect all flavors and our users.
- Accelerated Video Playback (Intel)
The Ubuntu Desktop team has been hard at work to get accelerated video playback working out of the box [1, 2, 3, 6]. Intel users may also see some performance improvements in Parole Media Player since it shares the GStreamer backend. Chromium users might also see some performance improvements [3, 4].
See this page for more information. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IntelQuickSyncVideo
- Bluetooth and USB Audio
There’s been a number of changes to BlueZ and PulseAudio this cycle which should make Bluetooth and USB audio devices work much better by default [2, 4, 5].
- Driverless Printing
Driverless printing has been added to Ubuntu. This provides support for most modern printers: IPP Everywhere, Apple AirPrint, Mopria, PCLm, and Wifi Direct as supported. Other printers can still be added from the Printers dialog [5, 6].
- System encryption password set before setting keyboard locale (1047384)
- Workround: Start the installation with the correct keymap. (Use F3) to set your keymap before booting to Try or Install Xubuntu from that menu.
- Network indicators
- Currently at times the panel could show 2 network icons, this appears to be a race condition which we have not been able to rectify in time for release. While this is an appearance issue only as far as we know, you can if you wish restart networking, the affected plugin or the panel. This fixes the issue in your running session but does not prevent the issue from re-appearing.
- Parole Media Player
- SGT Puzzles Collection: Menu bar grayed out (1670610)
- SGT Puzzles Collection: Clicking on the Preferences option on the main menu does nothing (1686667)
- Xfce Indicator Plugin: Label missing from “Clear Known Indicators” dialog (1644971)
- Checkboxes for hidden/visible indicators not working properly (1311685)
- Terminal border doubles when more than 1 tab (1683857)
- Software gives GDBUS.Error:org.freedesktop.Dbus.Error.ServiceUnkown Error message (1713009)
Changes and Bug Fixes
Packages seeing changes between 17.04 & 17.10:
- blueman (changelog)
- gtk-theme-config (changelog)
- gtk2-engines-xfce (changelog)
- lightdm-gtk-greeter (changelog)
- lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings (changelog)
- menulibre (changelog)
- mugshot (changelog)
- pavucontrol (changelog)
- sgt-launcher (changelog)
- shimmer-themes (changelog)
- xfce4-volumed (changelog)
- xfpanel-switch (changelog)
- xubuntu-artwork (changelog)
- xubuntu-core (changelog)
- xubuntu-default-settings (changelog)
- xubuntu-desktop (changelog)
- xubuntu-docs (changelog)
- xubuntu-icon-theme (changelog)
- xubuntu-meta (changelog)
- xubuntu-wallpapers (changelog)
Xfce Panel Plugins
- xfce4-cpugraph-plugin (changelog)
- xfce4-dict (changelog)
- xfce4-indicator-plugin (changelog)
- xfce4-mailwatch-plugin (changelog)
- xfce4-netload-plugin (changelog)
- xfce4-notes-plugin (changelog
- xfce4-places-plugin (changelog)
- xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin (changelog)
- xfce4-systemload-plugin (changelog)
- xfce4-verve-plugin (changelog)
- xfce4-weather-plugin (changelog)
- xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin (changelog)
- xfce4-xkb-plugin (changelog)
 https://insights.ubuntu.com/2017/07/07/ubuntu-desktop-weekly-update-july-7-2017/  https://insights.ubuntu.com/2017/07/14/ubuntu-desktop-weekly-update-july-14-2017/  https://insights.ubuntu.com/2017/07/28/ubuntu-desktop-weekly-update-july-28-2017/  https://insights.ubuntu.com/2017/08/11/ubuntu-desktop-weekly-update-august-11-2017/  https://insights.ubuntu.com/2017/08/25/ubuntu-desktop-weekly-update-august-25-2017/  https://insights.ubuntu.com/2017/09/08/ubuntu-desktop-weekly-update-september-8-2017/