Xubuntu 23.10 BETA Release Notes
Welcome to the Xubuntu 23.10 “Mantic Minotaur” release notes!
Xubuntu 23.10 will be released on Thursday, October 12, 2023, and will be supported for nine months until July 2024. For general information and the latest updates for Xubuntu 23.10, check out the release page on xubuntu.org.
- No shutdown prompt after installation (1944519)
- However, you should be able to press the Enter key to continue with the reboot.
- Xubuntu installer on desktop is “untrusted” (1987958)
- The launcher can be run from the menu or you can click “Launch anyway”.
- OEM installation fails on Xubuntu Minimal (2013251)
- Installer crashes when quitting in the live session (2016009)
- Xorg crashes after logging in or switching users on some Virtual Machines (1861609)
- Xfce Pulseaudio Plugin:
- Xubuntu 23.10 is still using the 23.04 wallpaper. Work on the new wallpaper is underway.
- During startup, Plymouth displays “Xubuntu 23.04”. This will be resolved after the beta.
Ubuntu Common Release Notes
The main Ubuntu Release Notes covers both many of the other packages we carry and more issues common to every Ubuntu flavor.
- Xfce libraries, including garcon, libxfce4ui, tumbler, and xfconf have received several bug fixes for race conditions and memory leaks. Overall, the desktop should be more responsive and less prone to crash.
- Mousepad 0.6.1 features better modification state tracking, UX improvements, and a new “match whole word” toggle added to the search toolbar.
- Ristretto 0.13.1 adds printing support to Xubuntu's default image viewer.
- Xfce Power Manager 4.18.2 and Xfce Screensaver 4.18.2 received several updates to eliminate screensaver issues.
- Xfce PulseAudio Plugin 0.4.7 received several bug fixes and updates to its media player and audio device handling. Media players can now be marked as persistent or ignored via the settings dialog.
- Xfce Screenshooter 1.10.4 added support for AVIF and JPEG XL file formats.
- Numerous additional stable release updates for Xfce 4.18 and related applications.
- elementary-xfce 0.18 features numerous refreshed icons across the entire Xubuntu desktop.
- Greybird 3.23.3 improves GTK 3 and 4 support.
- Some GNOME components, including Disk Usage Analyzer (baobab), Fonts (gnome-font-viewer), and Document Scanner (simple-scan) have a refreshed interface using libadwaita and newer design conventions.
- Several Xfce components have been updated to better support UI scaling. 2x scaling can be enabled from the Appearance dialog.
- Color emoji 😉️ are now included and used in Firefox, Thunderbird, and Gtk 3 and newer applications. To enter emoji on Gtk applications (such as Mousepad), use the
Ctrl + .keyboard shortcut to show the emoji picker.
- Past Xubuntu wallpapers can now be easily installed from the repositories! They're grouped by LTS release:
xubuntu-wallpapers-jammy: Hirsute, Impish, and Jammy
xubuntu-wallpapers-focal: Cosmic, Disco, Eoan, and Focal
xubuntu-wallpapers-bionic: Yakkety, Zesty, Artful, and Bionic
xubuntu-wallpapers-xenial: Utopic, Vivid, Wily, and Xenial
xubuntu-wallpapers-trusty: Quantal, Raring, Saucy, and Trusty
xubuntu-wallpapers-precise: Maverick, Natty, and Precise
xubuntu-wallpapers-lucid: Intrepid, Jaunty, Karmic, and Lucid
xubuntu-wallpapers-hardy: Edgy, Feisty, Gutsy, and Hardy
- Once you're up and running with the beta, check for updates! You'll find
xubuntu-default-settingsversion 23.10.0, which syncs your Gtk and Xfwm themes. This setting can be changed in the Appearance dialog.
- Bluetooth headphones are now better supported under PipeWire (2017818) with the addition of
- Recent touch input devices, including the second-generation Apple Magic Trackpad, are now supported with the removal of
Significant package and version updates. For full package changelogs, see the Changelogs section below.
- GNOME 45
- GTK 2.24.33 / 3.24.38 / 4.12.1
- MATE 1.26
- Xfce 4.18
- BlueZ 5.68
- CUPS 2.4.6
- Mesa 23.1.7
- Poppler 23.08.0
- PulseAudio 16.1
- xdg-desktop-portal 1.17.2
- elementary-xfce 0.18
- Greybird 3.23.3
- Catfish 4.16.4
- Exo 4.18.0
- Gigolo 0.5.2
- Mousepad 0.6.1
- Ristretto 0.13.1
- Thunar File Manager 4.18.7
- Xfce Application Finder 4.18.0
- Xfce Clipman Plugin 1.6.4
- Xfce Netload Plugin 1.4.1
- Xfce Panel 4.18.4
- Xfce PulseAudio Plugin 0.4.7
- Xfce Screenshooter 1.10.4
- Xfce Settings 4.18.2
- Xfce Systemload Plugin 1.3.2
- Xfce Task Manager 1.5.5
- Xfce Whisker Menu Plugin 2.8.0
- Atril 1.26.0
- Engrampa 1.26.0
- MATE Calculator 1.26.0
- GNOME Disk Usage Analyzer 45 alpha
- GNOME Disk Utility 45.0
- GNOME Mines 40.1
- GNOME Software 45 rc
- GNOME Sudoku 44.0
- Rhythmbox 3.4.7
- Simple Scan 44.0
- Blueman 2.3.5
- Firefox 117.0.1 (snap)
- GIMP 2.10.34
- LibreOffice 126.96.36.199
- Pipewire 0.3.79
- Snapd 2.60.3
- SGT Launcher 0.2.8
- Thunderbird 115.2.0
- apturl (changelog)
- atril (changelog)
- baobab (changelog)
- blueman (changelog)
- elementary-xfce (changelog)
- engrampa (changelog)
- gimp (changelog)
- gnome-disk-utility (changelog)
- gtk2-engines-xfce (changelog)
- hexchat (changelog)
- lightdm-gtk-greeter (changelog)
- lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings (changelog)
- mate-calc (changelog)
- menulibre (changelog)
- mugshot (changelog)
- pavucontrol (changelog)
- rhythmbox (changelog)
- pipewire (changelog)
- sgt-launcher (changelog)
- shimmer-themes (changelog)
- syncaptic (changelog)
- xcape (changelog)
- xubuntu-artwork (changelog)
- xubuntu-core (changelog)
- xubuntu-default-settings (changelog)
- xubuntu-desktop (changelog)
- xubuntu-docs (changelog)
- xubuntu-meta (changelog)
- xubuntu-wallpapers (changelog)
- exo (changelog)
- libxfce4ui (changelog)
- libxfce4util (changelog)
- thunar (changelog)
- thunar-volman (changelog)
- tumbler (changelog)
- xfce4-appfinder (changelog)
- xfce4-panel (changelog)
- xfce4-panel-profiles (changelog)
- xfce4-power-manager (changelog)
- xfce4-session (changelog)
- xfce4-settings (changelog)
- xfconf (changelog)
- xfdesktop4 (changelog)
- xfwm4 (changelog)
Xfce Panel Plugins
- xfce4-clipman-plugin (changelog)
- xfce4-cpugraph-plugin (changelog)
- xfce4-dict (changelog)
- xfce4-indicator-plugin (changelog)
- xfce4-mailwatch-plugin (changelog)
- xfce4-netload-plugin (changelog)
- xfce4-notes-plugin (changelog
- xfce4-places-plugin (changelog)
- xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin (changelog)
- xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin (changelog)
- xfce4-statusnotifier-plugin (changelog)
- xfce4-systemload-plugin (changelog)
- xfce4-verve-plugin (changelog)
- xfce4-weather-plugin (changelog)
- xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin (changelog)
- xfce4-xkb-plugin (changelog)